Tuesday, October 5, 2010

danger! danger!

Who knew that libraries were such crazy places!? If you have been following the news then you will know that last week there was a shooting at the Main Library on the campus of Univerisity of Texas at Austin. No one was actually injured in the crossfire, but nonetheless the event is frightening. I am not trying to propound the idea that libraries are dangerous places, however I do feel a little personally tied to this event. It is just strange to think that I could have been on campus when this whole event went down. UT was one of my other top choices for library school  and it is hard not to think what if?

Besides contemplating the hypothetical this week I have also been tackling the very real events that take place at the law library. This week I had to use the emergency packet for the first time ever (in any library that I have worked in). Let me just tell you, I never want to use it again. The quote below is one of my favorites about libraries... and I totally agree. Especially after this week where my attention has been diverted by the tragedy at UT, I need to be reminded of what I love

I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library.  ~Jorge Luis Borges

No comments:

Post a Comment