Tuesday, September 28, 2010

banned books week b*%#&$

Every October the ALA commemorates all of the books that have been banned or challenged over the years. You can usually find a display in your local library celebrating this week. While I was still at SLU I collaborated with other librarians on some displays. I was always surprised to see what people challenged. Earlier this week GSLIS organized a chalking party to cover the sidewalks in quotes from some of the more famous works. Mostly we chose from the more risky or expletive quotations... now is the time to use profanity on the quad!
Someone else's twittered image of the chalk
Here is a link to the ALA's list of banned books. Some of these classic works that I read in high school are on the list. I hardly remember thinking that I was being a rebel when I was reading these classics. I can somehow see how they would make the list. Someone could definitely construe the material as too provocative, however my personal feeling is that literature is a form of expression. There is no right or wrong expression, just like that corny saying "my feelings are neither right nor wrong." I don't think you can fault someones creation, however I am not a radical christian or a pious individual so my perspective isn't relevant to this debate.

So do something daring this week... read a book! A book that someone thought was so inappropriate no one should be allowed to read it. Get your hands on a copy and see what the fuss is about. I know I am, I have my copy of Lolita handy and am gonna dig in.


1 comment: