Friday, March 9, 2012

24 is the new 22.

Today is my birthday... It doesn't get more exciting than turning 24. Actually as I have been reflecting back on these past couple of years I've been feeling like they've been smushed together in one huge blur. I think it has something to do with grad school.

It seems like going to grad school has added on these two extra years of not-quite-college, but still pretty much college life (if that makes sense). It seems like I've gotten a stay of execution, a reprieve from the real world if you will. I've put off getting a job in search of higher education. I am starting to understand more clearly why all of the people in my field are coming back to school or are working on their second, third, or fourth master's degree. It's rough out there. Especially if you're a baby like me.

The topic of my birthday has come up in conversations with my colleagues these past few weeks and I keep getting hit with the same response. "you're so young!" I know, I was born in the late 80s. I think what they are getting at (or what I am interpreting this as) is a remark on my laser like path towards a professional career. In a quarter of a century I will *hopefully* have managed to sorted out what I want to do with the rest of my life. This is quite an accomplishment, one that many of them have not achieved. I don't really know if they pity me or are impressed (for my own sanity, I will probably believe the latter).

Anyway, it's another birthday, another year.

No comments:

Post a Comment